Injured Worker
Resource Center

Injured workers receive consistent care and support with the goal of returning to work as soon as medically able.

Home >Injured Worker Resource Center

A Straightforward Claims Process

  • SIF covers your workplace injury or illness

  • We also provide income benefits to those who qualify

Watch our video to learn more about how we calculate your Average Weekly Wage

Claims, Step-by-Step

Report Your Injury

Report your injury to your supervisor. Your supervisor will help fill out the First Report of Injury Form

Initial Treatment

Your medical provider will assess if you can return to work or if further treatment is required. Some injuries may require ongoing medical care. Continue to see your medical provider and participate in recommended treatment/recovery plans


Keep in Contact

Keep in contact with your medical provider, supervisor, and claims examiner so you can return to work at the appropriate time

Return to Work

We will work with your employer to ensure your return to work with all necessary support

Injured Worker FAQs

Who should I contact about my claim?

Your claims examiner is your point of contact throughout the claim process. If you’re not sure who your examiner is, please call us (800) 334-2370

My injury has been reported and my claim is open, now what?

Once your claim is open, we recommend you follow your doctor’s orders. Keep your employer and claims examiner informed of your progress and ability to return to work. Be sure to ask your physician questions as it is important to understand your injury and what can be expected.

What else should I expect during this process?

During your claim, it is normal for your examiner to ask additional questions or for more information. This may include:

  • One of our in-house investigators may contact you to take your statement about the incident.
  • We may request your salary history from your employer to correctly determine your income benefit.
  • A Medical Release Form may be needed from you to allow us to request bills and medical records.
  • We may ask for a police report (for a car accident), pictures, product information if your accident was caused by another person or faulty machine or product.
  • The Industrial Commission Rehabilitation Division may work with you, your physician, and your employer to determine accommodations that may help you return to work faster.
  • We may ask for you to see an independent medical provider for an evaluation.
Can I change physicians?

You must receive a referral from your treating physician if you wish to change physicians. If you are unable to obtain a referral from your physician, contact your examiner to request a change.

What do I do if I receive a medical bill related to my claim?

If you have an open, or recently closed, claim with SIF and you receive a medical bill, please contact your provider with your claim number. 

If SIF has only paid a portion of the bill you receive, contact your claims examiner.

You are not responsible for any portion of medical bills directly related to the treatment for your injury. You are responsible for medical bills, or portions of bills, not related to your claim.

What if I don’t agree with a decision made about my claim?

If you don’t agree with a decision made about your claim, contact your claims examiner first. They will gather more information about your dispute and will discuss with you why the decision was made. If you still do not agree with the decision, you may contact the Idaho Industrial Commission to request a hearing.